What you wear is extremely important, but how you wear it can make the difference between a great first impression and a bomb. Here are several keys to looking your best in what you wear:
- Carry nothing in your jacket, skirt, or trouser pockets. Bulges are not attractive, and people under stress tend to fidget with items in their pockets.
- Never take your suit jacket off unless you absolutely must. When you’re trying to make a good first impression, it can weaken your executive image.
- Have all buttons, hooks, and snaps in place and secured properly.
- If you have been traveling, change to a fresh shirt or blouse before the interview. If your clothing is wrinkled or rumpled, either change it or use a portable steamer for quick touch-ups.
- Your clothes must fit well. Nothing mars a first impression more quickly than bulges. If you are overweight, have your clothes tailored to fit.
- Adjust your tie or scarf properly before you walk into the reception area.