Summary: We all need to take at least one internship at some point in our college education but the risk of taking an unpaid internship halts many successful careers.
Internships are becoming a requirement for many jobs. They are something we know we must do but are afraid of. Taking an unpaid internship can be impossible when paying rent and buying food needs to happen. Finding paid internships often feels impossible since the competition for them is so fierce.
According to Glassdoor, there are thousands of open internships with many of them being paid. Some of these internships pay at rates above the median household income for the United States. The top companies understand that in order to attract the best talent, they have to be special and money is one of the ways they can stand out.
Glassdoor produces a list of the top 25 highest paid interns with a majority of the companies being in the technology sector. There is no denying the fact that our society runs on technology so producing new and innovate products can make it or break it for a company. The majority of the companies are also based in the San Francisco Bay area.
The top 10 companies on the list:
- Palantir pays an average $7,012 monthly income
- VMWare pays an average $6,966 monthly income
- Twitter pays $6,791 average monthly income
- LinkedIn pays an average $6,230 income
- Facebook pays an average $6,213 monthly income
- Microsoft pays an average $6,138 monthly income
- Ebay pays an average $6,126 monthly income
- Exxon Mobil pays an average $5,972 monthly income
- Google pays an average $5,969 monthly income
- Apple pays an average $5,723 monthly income
Photo: worldinternships.orgTop 10 Highest Paying Internships by Amanda Griffin