Don’t Kill Your Career by Committing These 10 MistakesPost Views 115
Summary: The last thing you want to do to your career is stall it or send it into a downward spiral. Follow these tips to keep your career safe.
Careers follow a path of their own that is not usually a smooth one. If you notice that your career has hit an especially bumping patch, check yourself to make sure you are not making any of these ten mistakes. Committing any of these behaviors may be what is causing
- Missing out on performance reviews by overcommitting or under-delivering.
- Resisting change and failing to embrace new ideas.
- Identifying problems but not solving them.
- Being a suck up to your boss while pushing your colleagues out.
- Focusing on your next career move instead of your present actions.
- Running for office for the wrong reasons.
- Having a feeling of self-importance with no humor or flexibility.
- Lacking courage or conviction to fight for what is important.
- Becoming complacent in your career.
- Not bothering to develop a plan for you to be eligible for a promotion.
Now that you know all things that you may be doing wrong in your career, learn how to fully utilize your potential. Here are some things that you should be doing to improve and develop your career.
- Reach out to influencers
- Update your resume
- Create a portfolio
- Develop your personal brand
- Keep up on current news in your industry
- Work on your elevator pitch
- Attend networking events
- Further your training or education
- Get published
- Create a career plan
- Start a side hustle
- Brainstorm ideas/create new systems to streamline your work
- Meet your manager
- Ask for an introduction
- Send a thank you note
- Take a break
- Set up Google alerts
- Meet with a recruiter
- Do a review of your current position
- Have lunch with a colleague
- Bring a morning treat to work
- Update your social media profiles – LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Study TED talks
- Update your work wardrobe
- Join industry associations
- Read a career blog
- Hire a career coach
What is your favorite way of refreshing your career? Do you turn to inspirational sources like TED talks and career blogs or do you revamp your personal brand and style? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.
To learn more about the mistakes you may be making, read these articles:
- Navigate the Working World by Avoiding Mistakes
- 20 Career Mistakes to Avoid
- 11 Career Mistakes You Won’t Repeat
Photo: pixabay.comDon't Kill Your Career by Committing These 10 Mistakes by Amanda Griffin