How to Recover from Mistakes at WorkPost Views 4
Summary: Everyone will make a mistake at work at some point in their lifetime, but by staying calm and keeping these tips in mind, any mistake can be remedied.
No one is perfect; we all make mistakes at some point. Whether they are big mistakes or little ones, it can seem devastating and like our career is ruined.
- Relax – Making a mistake is rattling and unnerving but is not the end of the world. Take a deep breath and calm down. When you are calm, you will be able to think more clearly and figure out a solution.
- Find a solution – When you make a mistake, approach your manager or team with a solution to that mistake. You need to be the one to correct the problem, even if that means staying up all night but don’t start trying to fix the problem until you have talked to your boss or team. They may have a better solution or way of fixing the problem faster.
- Tell your manager – It will look a lot better for you if you are the one to say something instead of someone else. Never try to hide your mistake but instead approach the situation with your boss calmly and maturely. Don’t try to blame others or a stressful situation. Taking accountability will go a long way with your boss when they are reviewing the mistake later.
- Make a plan – Look back at why the mistake happened, how you handled it, and how you can improve for the future. If your mistake was missing a deadline for a client, your improvement can be keeping the date written down in multiple places.
- Move on – The most important thing you can do is to move on and not let your mistake hold you back. Your confidence is likely to be cut down but if you remember that you are human, humans make mistakes, and so that means everyone around you makes mistakes as well, then you won’t feel so down.
Photo: jobs.aol.comHow to Recover from Mistakes at Work by Amanda Griffin