Summary: A public relations professional relies on building relationships and using technology to be successful.
A career in public relations can be challenging work that not everyone is cut out for. It is ranked as one of the most stressful careers. The job can be rewarding if you are someone that loves planning events, is passionate about writing, love doing something that is versatile, meeting interesting people, and want to make a difference in the world.
Just a few of the many skills that a successful PR person will have is the ability to write well, highly driven by goals, has a special personality, a passion for helping others grow their reputation, and a focus on building trusting relationships. Here are 10 more signs that PR is the right fit for you:
- You’re always on the go. This career demands people that are unstoppable no matter how little sleep they got that night. The job is fast-paced and demands a lot of time. If a client calls you at 3 AM, you need to be willing to take that call.
- You start every morning with coffee. A PR pro lives off of caffeine that is in the form of coffee or soda.
- You make lists for everything. PR’s use lists constantly in the workplace to help multitask and keep several projects straight.
- You love to write. Public relations professionals are writers. You need to be able to tell and write a good story in the forms of blog posts, articles, press releases, newsletters, and ebooks.
- You are up-to-date on current events and trends. If you love to follow the news and have the facts on the latest story then PR is the job for you.
- You’re a team player. You are expected to collaborate with people from different backgrounds to accomplish the same goal. Teamwork is essential for a PR professional.
- You are considered trustworthy. PR professionals are some of the most ethical and trustworthy people. The industry is founded on building trusting relationships.
- You live for social media 24/7. A successful PR pro is connected to what is happening on social media and content marketing.
- You’re not afraid to push boundaries. A PR professional is fearless and willing to do what it takes to create success. If you are willing to take some risks and are creative then pursue a career in PR.
- Relationships are of value to you. You must be able to create and foster caring relationships in order to connect with clients and customers.
Photo: returnonreputation.comSigns That You Are Meant for PR by Amanda Griffin