Summary: Make your sleep, no matter how long or short it may be each night, worth it so that you are ready to take on each day.
After a long day at work, you may find it hard to unwind. You have spent the last 12 or more hours running around at work and at home trying to conquer everything on your daily to-do list, all while staring at computer, TV, and phone screens. You may be tired by the end of the day, but your mind is still wired. Here are some tips to help you relax mentally and physically at the end of the day so that you can get a good night’s rest.
- Take a warm bath before bedtime.
- Keep your bedroom between 60 to 67 degrees F.
- Don’t drink alcohol at night.
- Forgo caffeine after noon.
- Maintain a regular bedtime and wake-up schedule.
- Keep afternoon naps under 20 minutes.
- Turn off the TV at least one hour before bedtime.
- Do not keep a TV in your bedroom.
- Don’t use your bed for anything except sex and sleep.
- Keep pets and children out of your bed.
- Avoid harsh lights.
- Dim your lights around 3 hours before bedtime.
- Exercise daily, but do so a few hours before bedtime.
- Try reading if you can’t fall asleep after 15 minutes.
- Avoid late-night meals that are heavy.
- Eat foods with tryptophan about 2-3 hours before bed such as peanut butter, beans and nuts.
- Use low lights for evening reading.
- Use a white noise machine.
- Block out the LED lights on electronics in your room.
- Try some yoga stretches before bed.
- Have sex – it boosts oxytocin and dopamine and reduces stress to give you a surge of peace before bed.
Read these related articles to help you be more successful each day:
- Sunday Night Activities of Successful People
- Successful People Tell Us 9 Things to Do Before Bed
- 10 Ways to Jumpstart Your Morning for a Successful Day
Photo: teluguone.comHow to Get Better Sleep by Amanda Griffin